About Me

My photo
Caledonia, Michigan
I am a second grade teacher in Caledonia, Michigan. I taught kindergarten for 5 years and then discovered the joy of second grade! This is my second year teaching 2nd grade. I have been happily married to my college sweetheart for 6 years! We have an inquisitive, loving 2 year old daughter and an adorable miniature Australian Shepherd. Life gets sweeter by the moment!

Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Relaxing Weekend...and some VOWEL TEAMS!

As another weekend comes to a close, I am feeling grateful for a little downtime.  I read my book, took a nap (sigh!), and went to see The Lorax!  The hubby and I loved it...our little girl on the other hand was afraid of the Once-ler:(  The bright side:  She cuddled on my lap during the whole movie!

Last week was a whirlwind with conferences, report cards, and meetings.  I was only in my room two and a half days!  I'm looking forward to a "normal" week this week...whatever that means!  That is, until Wednesday comes along.  I have 18 parent-teacher conferences back to back from 4:00-8:30.  Wish me luck!

As I head into the classroom tomorrow,  I wanted to share a little something I've been working on for Vowel Teams.  I really wish I would have started this earlier in the school year...better late than never, right?!  We use the Treasures reading series. I started the list with Week 22.

The vowel teams and digraphs included are:
ui, ue, ew, oo, oe, aw, au, ow, ou, oi, a (with the "uh" sound as in alone and awake), gn, kn, wr, c (hard and soft), and g (hard and soft)

You will notice that the slides for ui, ue, ew, oo, oe have some words in a larger font than others. These are our spelling words, yet I wanted to include a few other examples of words I know the kids commonly misspell as well.

I'll have to back track to create posters for the sounds already covered this year at some point!

Click {HERE} to download the vowel team and digraph posters!

Here are a few samples....


Have a great week!

Nichole













Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment